Sunday, October 7, 2007

Communion

Christ's body broken for you; Christ's blood Shed for you.

Today I had the opportunity to hold the communion cup while people came by and dipped the bread in the grape juice. Part of this job was saying to each person, "Christ's blood shed for you." I was worried before that saying it over and over again would make it seem trite. It is such a beautiful and personal thing when someone says it to me when I take the bread and cup, but I was worried that the repetition would make it meaningless. It didn't. Instead it was much more meaningful saying it to each person and looking into their eyes. Telling each one of them that Christ's blood was indeed shed for them. I was on the verge of tears most of the time, especially when Matto and my mom came up. Of course, it probably had nothing to do with the fact that I had not yet gotten any sleep as I had worked all night the night before :).


I was touched even more when children came up. Bending over to offer the cup to little people was such a reminder of the passage, "let the little children come unto me."
A funny part was when a little girl was not sure what she was supposed to do with the bread so she just chucked it in the grape juice and left. Very cute.


3 comments:

DellaRose said...

i am being reminded lately that i need repitition is good for me and to listen an receive the meaning and understand the depth...someone was complaining that contemporary praise songs have too much repetition and to that i reply...sometimes i need to hear/sing it 20 times before i am ready to live it or truely even hear it....thanks!

Becky Frame said...

I wish our church did this. It's so beautiful. We experienced it at my cousin's church in Seattle, and we were in the very front row, so we were about three feet from the servers. We watched them say it to everyone that came forward, but what I didn't realize is that they were saying each person's name. So when I got there, the guy said to me, personally, "The blood of Christ, shed for you, Becky." Tears, tears, tears. Beautiful.

Matto and Kafrum said...

Oh, Wow. So personal!!!